Sunday, August 08, 2010
Crazy Daisy Tour Day 24: Carson City, NV
We return to the Nevada State Railroad Museum for a ride on the diesel powered motor car (above). The number 401 "doodlebug" was built in 1926 by the Edwards Railway Motor Car Company of Stanford, North Carolina and was first owned by the Tucson, Cornelia & Gila Bend Railroad in Ajo, Arizona. On this second visit, we are once again impressed by the knowledge and enthusiasm of the museum's volunteers.
Next we drive about 13 miles south of Carson City to the little town of Genoa, NV, to visit the Courthouse Museum (below). "The courthouse was constructed by Rufus Adams and Lawrence Gilman in 1856 when Genoa was the county seat of Douglas County. In 1916, the county seat was moved to Minden, a thriving new town in the center of the valley.
The Courthouse was used as a school from 1916 until 1956. In 1969 it was opened as a museum by the Carson Valley Historical Society.
The Courthouse Museum Genoa is the realization of a dream envisioned by a group of descendants of Carson Valley pioneers who organized the Carson Valley Historical Society in 1961. Through an extensive restoration program, the exterior was repaired and the interior restored. The restoration project was funded by grants from the state and county, the Bicentennial Commission, the Fleischmann Foundation, and private gifts and donations." View source here.
Across the street a small group of friendly senior students from Sierra Lutheran High School hosted a hot dog lunch at Genoa Country Store - barbecued hot dog, coleslaw, pickles, chips and homemade brownie made with Ghirardelli chocolate $5 (veggie plate $4). We enjoy our lunch and chatting with the locals. We wish them all the best in their efforts to raise funds for their senior trip.
Daily distance: 122 km Fuel cost: $0